If you aren’t ready to take out a second mortgage for that new shiny Trek Madone carbon frame gem this Christmas for that special cyclist someone out there, you can still let them know you care with a few of these MUCH cheaper biking knick knacks. We made up this short list of anything from a small little stocking stuffer for the once in a while cyclist, to stuff everyday cyclists use…everyday. Of course this list is VERY subjective and includes some of our favorite stuff, but that is why they are great gifts…in our humble opinion.
1. Chamois Butt’r - Any cyclist worth their salt knows that chafing goes hand in hand with our beloved sport of cycling. To combat this issue, we are big fans of the Chamois Butt’r whether you are riding in that century or quick Sunday morning ride. Every cyclist uses some sort of skin cream or another, which makes this one an easy gift for any cyclist, heck even those runners too.
2. TimBuk2 Bag - Did your cyclist friend make a New Year’s Resolution to ride this bike to work more often? If so, TimBuk2 makes some great messenger bags that they can pack all those work manila folders into along with their laptop. My personal favorite is the feature that keeps the computer compartment separate so you don’t even have to take it out of the bag going through airport security…ah, the little things. Even if they aren’t biking to work, they make some cool packs for just about anything.
3. Performance Bike Gift Certificate - Does your cyclist friend have just about everything you can possibly think of? Then just get them a gift card to Performance(we’ve donated quite a few paychecks to them over the years) so they can just pick out for themselves what they need.
4. Clif Bar Shots - Did your special someone get bitten by the triathlon bug? Or does your special someone just like a quick shot of energy on that club ride? Then these things are pretty sweet…literally and figuratively. They are great for those races and rides to keep you from bonking halfway through.
5. Bike to Work Pants - These things are made from the same guys that invented the Cortarounds and have a rather clever little feature: you can pull your back pocket out and roll up the cuffs to show off their reflective side(how could we not like that) all while keeping you from looking like a spandex wearing cycling commuter.
6. Breaking Away - Take a break from biking yourself and roll up on the couch to watch others biking in this charming and humorous coming of age story. This is the classic cycling movie from 1979 of 4 young small town Indiana blue collar kids trying to find their way after high school that culminates in the ‘Little 500’ local bike race. One of my favorites.
7. Knog Bike Light - We encourage everyone to have bike lights IN ADDITION to a set of BikeWrappers if they are doing any kind of cycling at night and are a fan of this Australian company. They make some very good, very simple, very bright, and very affordable silicon lights for your bike.
8. Bicycle: The History - If you want to revel in the sheer beauty of the bicycle, this is your book. This is a neat little(480 pages) coffee table book that not only serves as an illustrated history of the bicycle, but also encourages readers to treat the bike as a work of art
9. Clean Bottle - Can’t fit your paws into your water bottle to reach the bottom that has accumulated a bunch of nasty looking gunk BECAUSE you can’t reach it? Then this is the bottle for you because has the ingenious design feature of being able to unscrew at BOTH ends for easy cleaning. Ride Clean.
10. BikeWrappers Reflective Armwarmers – Come on, are we going to make a list like this and not include at least one of our products? These reflective armwarmers are our newest product and there really is nothing else on the market like it with the sheer amount of reflectivity that they’ve got. Winter is upon us so that mercury in the thermometer is dropping quickly and these things are insulated to give you a bit of warmth for those colder rides AND made from a wicking material to keep you dry when you work up a sweat.
UPDATE (11/28/12): We put out a new Christmas gift list of ideas for 2012 here...
Write a comment
Albert (Monday, 26 November 2012 15:36)
great stuff! check out some cool cycling posters @ http://www.pedalprints.com
John (Tuesday, 10 December 2013 23:48)
Those cliff shots are pretty tasty. BicycleAge.com have some pretty cool cycling gifts as well such as miniature die cast cycling figurines and cycling coasters.
Chelsea (Thursday, 26 December 2013 18:51)
I just bought my husband a golf ball muscle roller, got pretty good deal on it, hes been wanting one for awhile and i finally found one! :)
Francis Chapman (Wednesday, 28 March 2018 00:02)
Whether it's Christmas or not, I'd definitely grab these gift ideas for my cyclist pals.